Leadership Oswego County Youth
Leadership Oswego County Youth Now Accepting Applications
Leadership Oswego County Youth is now preparing for its 22nd year of this unique training experience! This year is going to be an exclusive year. In order to continue offering this leadership program opportunity to youth in Oswego County during the current time, LOCY is going to be completely virtual for the first time ever!
What is Leadership Oswego County Youth?
Leadership Oswego County Youth (LOCY) is a program to develop skills in potential teen leaders. Based on Leadership Oswego County, an adult leadership program, the youth version teaches valuable skills using a network of established leaders, young and old alike. The curriculum is built on a trusteeship design (taking responsibility for one's community), reinforcing aspects of personal, team and community growth using a series of workshops combining discussions and activities that relate to the community of Oswego County. Once graduated from LOCY, students will be prepared to become involved in a number of leadership opportunities in Oswego County schools, agencies and other community service organizations.
- LOCY is a training program available to all high school students. LOCY focuses on developing skills in regard to leadership, public speaking, team building, personal and community awareness, decision making and MUCH MORE!
- LOCY is open to all high school students. High academic, athletic or musical achievement is not necessary, but a desire to learn and grow is! In consideration of participation with this program, please note that the program is looking for youth who will fully commit to this program. Virtual attendance and full participation is CRICITAL.
- LOCY will help youth learn life-long skills that will enable them to make a difference in their home, school and community now as well as serve them in their adult lives.
- LOCY is also an opportunity for youth to learn about nearer future leadership opportunities such as:
- serving on the Youth Advisory Council and other advisory boards in Oswego County
- becoming an officer in a school club
- becoming involved in community volunteer groups
- becoming more prepared with skills that will make students job, college and life ready
Selection of Participants:
LOCY’s goal is to have all 9 Oswego County school districts involved in the program. Ideally, program facilitators would like to have 2-4 students involved from each school district. Facilitators believe that it is important to have all areas of our county represented. By having all districts represented, it allows for better networking opportunities for program participants and it helps them have a more complete view of the county they live in.
How to Apply:
As LOCY will be executed virtually, any high school student interested in participating in this unique program opportunity can sign up via online application at https://forms.gle/rp2aTcTrxPKGr3NXA. Applicants must have a valid Google account to apply. Deadline to apply is by midnight on Tuesday December 1st. Enrolled students will be contacted by the program coordinator by the end of that week with access information for program orientation.
LOCY facilitators will be holding a virtual program orientation for enrolled students and their parents/guardians on Wednesday December 9th at 6pm. Youth enrolled in the program and their Parents/Guardians will be able to learn more about the program, expectations of the students and have the opportunity to ask the facilitators questions.
Leadership Oswego County Youth is proudly brought to you by a partnership with the State University of New York at Oswego, the Oswego City-County Youth Bureau/City of Oswego, Elmcrest Children’s Center and Oswego County Opportunities, Inc.
If youth or parents have questions regarding the program, please contact Kristen Slimmer, Youth Activities Coordinator for the City of Oswego/Oswego City-County Youth Bureau and Leadership Oswego County Youth Program Coordinator at (315) 349-3575 or at email@example.com.
E-mail Kristen Slimmer or Zach Grulich
Oswego City-County Youth Bureau/Parks and Recreation
70 Bunner St.
Oswego, NY 13126